Thursday, March 08, 2007

Jonas

I've finally done it. I'm sponsoring a child in Africa. His name is Jonas (such a cute name), he's 10 and he lives with his parents in North East of South Africa, apparently football is his hobby (that's a good boy - can't go wrong with that). Now I'm feeling a bit... like I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

I've received a guide about what I can do and say, so I'll follow the instructions. I wonder if today his family received news that a woman from England was going to be giving money every month for Jonas to go to school and receive health care and whatever else it is they do.

That was my birthday present to myself (that and Final Fantasy XII). In the last year I have spent a lot of time wishfully thinking of going to Africa to make a difference. But being new at my job I knew I would not find the time to do it, and it is fairly expensive, and I don't really come with transferable skills (like teacher, nurse or doctor). So I decided to sponsor a child instead. On Saturday I went through dozens of operators that facilitate child sponsoring and selected World Vision. I'm ashamed to say I would have prefered a girl but I selected wherever the need is greater every where, (except for the continent, I selected Africa), so that's my boy where the need was the greatest at the moment I hit the submit button. I think I'm moved... it's like having another God son.

8 comments:

none said...

That is a worthy cause. I can't wait to hear more about it. I've always been curious to how it works.

Jeannie said...

We've got two little girls - one in Guatamala and one in the philipines. I don't even notice the money gone.

Dan said...

That's very sweet and kind of you Hélène. I think you've just inspired me to do more of that sort of thing. Thanks! :)

tweetey30 said...

I see the commercials on tv but have always wondered how much of the money that goes to the children and there families. Let me know how well it goes for you and I just might talk my husband into doing the same thing sometime. Its a great cause for those. Its like me making afghans for the church to give to the missionaries to give to the children when they go out on there missions. I have sent one box full already. I almost have my second box done. I put about 8 afghans in one box. That isnt more than fifty pounds so they can get across without having to pay a fee. I will let you know how well this is working for me when I get a come back from the Pastors wife. They give them to the drop off points for me. LOL.. Well take care and hope you enjoy this little bundle.

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

I did that for a year. It was neat. I got letters from the boy and everything. Very rewarding feeling knowing you're helping someone so worthy.

Come to think of it, I wonder why I stopped. Oh right. I got divorced. But still....hmmm.

You got me thinking about this again. Good girl.

by Danie said...

Magnifique, j'ai bien envie de faire la meme chose moi aussi, tu es une veritable source d'inspiration pour nous tous.

Rockstar Mom said...

That is awesome Helene! You have a really big heart!

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

Alright alright. Your answers are up on my blog. Come and grade me;-)